Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Mind's Eye (part 2)

Often, one of my math students will ask me if the magic that he or she has watched on TV is real. One response is to bring out a presentation that the students can see up close in the classroom. I've found that the question that they ask is whether the magicians on TV are performing "live" in front of sitting audiences, or are they using camera tricks to cheat the TV
viewers.

Naturally, when I perform a piece of magic such as Card Warp for the questioning student, the reaction is very, very strong. So strong, in fact, that the initial question about TV magic appears to be settled in a very final way.

Simply performing a piece or two occasionally for my students, who are between the ages of 15 and 19, has brought about many opportunities for serious math discussion, as well as discussions concerning the scientific method, the axiomatic method of proof in math, and the search for truth by definition. Working magic for this age group has clear advantages in that they are somewhat knowledgeable, having read some beginner tricks, and they are very mobile...I find myself surrounded quite often, and have to select my work carefully, or find ways to manage them for their own enjoyment of the presentation.

I've communicated with other magicians who refuse to perform for teens, but my work as a teacher affords me the opportunity to address these challenges head on, and I've met with a great deal of success. To keep myself well ahead of the game, I have had to keep my eye on the ball with respect to the magical world.

In that regard, I'll keep posting my discoveries, reviews, and suggestions as I keep The Mind's Eye on the astonishments, the people, places, and events of the world of magic.

So stop back often, and let me in on your comments and questions as we proceed through the realms of Mindmyst's Magic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home